Friday, April 20, 2012

You know you're a mom when....

This thought runs through my head several times a day.

You know you're a mom when....your husband calls at 5:00 to let you know that he's on his way home and you run straight to your closet to find some jeans instead of the sweats and t-shirt you've been sporting all day.  Some days it's just not worth getting your nice clothes slobbered on before anyone sees you. 

You know you're a mom when...your husband is gone over night with the scouts, your daughter is sleeping peacefully in her crib and before you sit down to watch a chick-flick, you just HAVE to finish the chores that didn't hit the top 5 for the day.

You know you're a mom when...the sight of dirty dishes on the counter makes you cringe....because you JUST emptied the DISHWASHER!  

You know you're a mom when...you're making a list of things you need to do tomorrow and 75% of them revolve around cleaning the house and the other 25% are about what you need to do for the little ones.

You know you're a mom when...you're at the doctor and your child is screaming bloody murder and the second you pick her up, she stops and hugs onto you like you are her hero.

You know you're a mom when...you recognize changes in your child's mood, behavior, boogers, bowel movements, and eating habits.

You know you're a mom when...a 5:34am wake up call from your baby with a fever doesn't make you frustrated in the slightest.  

You know you're a mom when...you do the same three things every day: make breakfast, eat, clean up, give baths, nap time, clean house, make lunch, eat, clean up, nap time, clean house AGAIN, make dinner, eat, clean up, BED TIME!  You go to bed exhausted but can't wait to get up and do it all over again.

I used to tease my sisters saying,"Oh I can't do that yet, I'm not a mom."  Moms can make dinner with one hand.  Moms can help with homework and kiss an owie.  Moms can show love and discipline.  I am happy to report that THIS mom can say "Oh I CAN do that, I'm a mom!"  I'm slowly learning that being a mom is more than making food and cleaning.  It's being there 24/7, even if they don't need me.  I am learning that being a mom is MY divine calling.  I am not perfect and most lessons have to be taught to me over and over.  Some days I feel like going back to my college days when I could sit on the couch and watch episode after episode of Arrested Development but then I see how far my little family has come and I wouldn't change it for the world.   

Disclaimer:  I don't believe that you HAVE to be a mom to experience these same feelings.  Every woman out there has the power to change some little person's life and be the example.  I am so grateful for all the WOMEN out there who have helped raise me to be the person I am today.  I know that it literally takes a village to raise a child.   


 And this is just so you can see how cute my red head is.  She thinks she's ready for online school like daddy.



6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh.. So true! I agree the all of that... And your little red head is the cutest red head ever! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Allee, You are an amazing MOM! Oh the things we do as mothers... kinda fun though isn't it?! Thanks for your inspiring words. its nice to know that I am not the only who feels like the clean house ALL DAY ;) Love you! And the little red head too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I already commented on this, but I don't think it showed. (obviously) I want to sit around and watch tv shows all day too. Sometimes right when you think you can take it anymore the sweetest things happen. You are an awesome mom. Teach me your ways ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moms are amazing! The other day I had 5 kids and attempted a trip to the store (it was a must). The bagger asked if I needed help out and I the thought ran through my head, "Why, I'm a Mom, you'd be amazed what I can do one handed, giving directions, and listening all at the same time." Its also amazing how much time it takes to be a Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAha! You all make me laugh! I love being a mom too! Koby calls me Mamma and I love it. I love to kiss my bro bros cheecks and I can't wait to be Baby Bryces mom! What a blessing! Gotta love the little goobers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You silly Little Moms. I love to see you going through this experience. Keep up the good work girls!

    ReplyDelete